Saturday, January 12, 2013

storytime with em: nyc food

Oh my goodness. Where do I even start?

Okay, so you guys probably don't know this but I am actually in love with food (says every teenage girl ever). So of course I had to post about all the amazing places we went to while in New York!

So the first day wasn't that exciting, since it was road trip day, but we did eat dinner when we got to the hotel. We went to this place about 5 minutes away in the middle of the snowstorm called Gianna's. As I've said before, my sister and I shared a delicious cheese pizza with super awesome crust (possibly my favorite part of pizza).

The next day ( and all the days) we had breakfast at the hotel (blueberry muffins what up). That lasted until whenever we had lunch at the natural history museum. It was decent food and could have been worse, considering. The real treat was diner. We have this cookbook for Clinton St Bakery, and there are some delicious pancakes in there. They serve pancakes all day. The only problem is that it gets insanely crowd and there's a super looooong wait. When we got to the restaurant (at around 7 pm, mind you, the "slow period") the wait was an hour and a half. We didn't want to wait there, so we went across the street to this place called The Cocoa Bar. They serve lots of delicious drinks in stylish cups (seriously that's part of it). We had such a fun time waiting, the only employee was super nice and gave us chocolate almonds for free. Seriously, if you're ever over there, check it out. It's like a coffee shop but better. They also serve wine and coffee but we were to cool for that. Anyways, Clinton St had a handy app, so when there was one party in front of us we rushed over and were finally seated. We ordered etc. Mu dad got a bacon cheeseburger with (supposedly) really good bacon, and my mom, sister, and I shared pork taquitos, sweet potatoe fries, and banana walnut pancakes. It is so worth the wait it's ridiculous. Everything is burned just enough to keep its taste but enough to be crispy and the normal fries are delish.

The next bakery we visited was Sarabeth's Bakery. That turned out to be a complete accident, but a totally delicious one. My mom and I wanted to browse in Lord & Taylor, so my dad and sister went to the coffee shop and got hot cocoa. About ten minutes later we joined them, and realized we were in Sarabeth's! Their hot cocoa was great (I stole my dad's since he didn't like it). It was really thick and rich and like drinking mud, but chocolate mud like from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. We also bought a croissant, cookie, and scone, all of which were delicious.

Oh wow, we went to a lot of bakeries that's really weird. Okay, well we next ended up in Crumbs, which is a famous cupcake store, and since my sister has this thing about cupcakes, we had to go inside. We got a little cupcake sampler with 12 cupcakes, which we ate while waiting in line for tickets. I wish we could have spent more time there, because everything looked really good. I also really like decorated cupcakes, I think they're really cute.

Afterwards, we did not go to a bakery (surprise!), we instead went to the Rockefeller Center because that's what you do in New York as a tourist. We got pizza from Harry's Italian Pizza Parlor which turned out to be really good. Maybe it was because we were super exhausted, or maybe it's because it was New York pizza, but it was some of the best pizza I've ever had. (And we got a free slice!)

So then we skip ahead to Saturday night when we got Mexican food. I am absolutely in love with Mexican food, which is a problem, since we don't have any real places (not counting fast food Mexican) around here. I had a chicken fajita thing, which, to be honest, I didn't really enjoy, but you know what? It was Mexican food, and I love fajitas so it was okay.

We also ended up at our fourth (?) bakery of the trip, Magnolia Bakery, which was inside Bloomingdale's. We bought four little pastries and two hot chocolates. We unfortunately don't have the Magnolia Bakery cookbook, but  I'm positive it would be a good buy, if you wanted it. I got a chocolate pudding pie, which I really liked because chocolate + whipped cream is a really good combination.

I think that's everything. Really, it's food, so you're going to have a hard time going wrong with it, especially in a city. I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, life kinda caught up with me for a bit (also I discovered Gossip Girl), but I'm definitely going to post more, I promise! What are your favorite foods? Mine is probably pizza or potatoes (they're so versatile, think about it!).

-em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment