Friday, January 4, 2013

storytime with em: new york city part 1

I hope you all notice the font size change because I did and not because Tini told me thank you very much.

If you're following this I think I've said that I was going to be without the internet for a few days after Christmas, because I went to New York City! I was super excited about this because I love love love NYC and it's got like some big idealized thing in my head (but not really. More on that later.) My mom actually went to high school in a suburb of New York, and my grandparents lived there for a while. We used to go to their house for Christmas until I was in 4th grade (I think) when they moved closer to us. Anyways, the point being, I've been to New York before, several times when I was too little to remember and then once the summer after ninth grade when I went to a Girl Scout camp and we got to go for three days and see Wicked (aka my favorite show ever).

Despite all that this time was going to be different because I would be able to see stuff that I wanted to and because I was going with my family. I don't really want to say where I live, but I am close enough to drive to the city (it just takes a while).

We left the day after Christmas, but our first stop was the mall to pick me up a new winter coat (which I'm in love with. It's from Columbia, and I think it was like $120 ish? It was on sale, plus I got three coats in one). Anyways, after we ransacked the mall for everything (we got calendars, and hot chocolate mix as well) we finally left. So we drove, and drove, and finally, we were about an hour or so away from the city when BAM! a snow storm hit. We were on the express when and literally everyone slowed down to five miles per hour. Suffice to say, it took us two hours to get there. In a snow storm. When we finally got to where we were staying (suburbia what up) we went to dinner at this place called Gianna's (we were staying in Yonkers, if that's any help). Either way, my sister and I shared a pizza and it was delicious. My dad had this seafood pasta special and I had my first taste of lobster and my mom also had pizza. And that was about it for the first day.

The next day was the Museum of Natural History day wooo (not really). So we got up, had breakfast, etc, and then got in the shuttle bus to go to the train station five minutes away. Well, we ended up at the station 20 minutes away but that wasn't so bad. We bought our tickets and hoppen on the train to Grand Central Station (also another place I'm in love with. It's gorgeous!) We ended up getting there earlier than expected, so of course we had to be touristy and look at everything in there. (I blocked out my sister's face since I don't know if she wants to be on here)

After that we exited and walked to Times Square (yet another place) in the rain.

I don't really remember why but we ended up in the Disney store (probably cause we were looking for the metro) which was great because I love that place. After we found the metro and rode it to the museum we had to wait in line FOREVER because the museum has a metro entrance. And then we spent the entire day there and I was bored out of my mind so we are not going to talk about it. But hey look what a great picture of me in there! (This was the food exhibit, which I actually really liked what)

The other big thing that day was Clinton Street Bakery!  (I actually am going to make that a separate post just because I loved it so so much. But suffice to say that it is delicious).

The third day was "my day" aka we went shopping on Fifth Ave. But first we stopped in the NY public library because it's free and it was on the way. It wasn't too bad, and I got to see the lions! The first store we went into was Lord & Taylor since my mom loves that store, and holy goodness it was HUGE. We tried shopping for boots and dresses but we didn't find anything. However, my dad and sister went to drink hot coco while we were shopping, and we found them in Sarabeth's Bakery! (another cookbook which we own. again, delicious. I might just make a food post?) So then after they finished we went to Macy's (largest store what up) but first we took a detour in H&M since I love that store but we didn't find anything. Oh wait, I did get a set of earrings that are going in my stocking for Orthodox Christmas. And my sister got socks. So then we headed over to Macy's and I swear it was bigger than Lord & Taylor.
See the Macy's sign in the background? And yes, my sister is wearing a Gryffindor hat. And it was PACKED. It was just super overwhelming, so we decided to leave shortly afterwards. By that point it was 2:30 ish so we decided to run to Times Square (well, walk really fast) so we could try to get tickets for a Broadway show. We did make a detour into Crumbs (bakery, delicious, see my food post) and then pushed our way to stand in line. We stood in line for an hour and a half in the freezing cold. And we ended up getting tickets to The Mystery of Edwin Drood, which is an excellent show, should you ever get to see it. Before hand, we went to the Rockefeller Center (HUGE MISTAKE it was really crowded) although we did get some excellent pizza. I think we got home at 12:30 in the morning but it was so worth it.

Anyways, this post is way too long, and the photos are super blurry so I'll make a part 2 (and fix the photos) and post it later, along with my food post. Have any of you guys been to New York?

-em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment