Tuesday, October 9, 2012

tini bakes: coconut chocolate chip cookies

Night is my favorite time to bake. I don't know why, it just always has been. Probably because my cravings for cookies and cakes spikes at around 7 and by 8, I can't take it anymore. If it's chocolate I'm craving, I try to fix that problem by just eating semisweet chocolate chips with ice cream (no, not ice cream with chocolate chips. In the amount I do it, it's the other way around).

Sometimes you need more. I can't eat 99% of store-bought baked goods because of allergies, so I do a lot of baking. I have an arsenal of cookie recipes, and I'm always open to a new one (seriously, if you have a recommendation, let me know. If I can eat all of the ingredients, I'll try it out!). 

Last night, I was determined to try something new. But I was tired, hungry, and just wanted something I knew would taste good. I swear, I don't think I'll ever bake a different chocolate chip cookie again. This is the chocolate chip cookie I've been looking for my whole life... buttery and chewy and perfect. Even if you don't like coconut, just omit it; these cookies are incredible.

I can't lie to you, these pictures aren't fresh out of the oven. I baked these last night and took these pictures today after lunch. But they are just as good later as they are fresh out of the oven. I'd be interested to see if they go back to their gooey, melty state if you popped one in the microwave. 


I halved the original recipe and made some minor changes... I wouldn't recommend making more than this many. I find that they tend to get a little stale at the end of the batch. Unless you're making cookies for a lot of people or you go through cookies really fast in your house, it's not worth it. The cookies are pretty quick to make, so you can easily whip up another batch when the first one is gone. 


coconut chocolate chip cookies

Adapted from Taste of Home
Yields: about 20 cookies

1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/3 cups of unsweetened large flake coconut
3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. 

In a large bowl (I do it in the bowl of my stand mixer), cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beat until fully mixed in. Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt), beating on low until fully integrated. Add coconut and chocolate chips, stir in. 

Make heaping tablespoon balls of dough (I use a cookie disher), and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving about 2-3 inches between each cookie. They will spread quite a bit. 

Bake in oven for 12-18 minutes (I find they usually take about 15-16 minutes in my oven), or until lightly browned around the edges. The coconut will brown before the cookies, so go off of the cookies, not the coconut pieces. Allow to cool on pans until firm enough to move to wire cooling racks. 

Store in an airtight container to maintain freshness. 

Enjoy!

xx, tini

1 comment:

  1. Hey :) these look amazing! would you like to follow eachother??
    www.cositsthebeesknees.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete